Friday, July 5, 2013

Treadmill Troubles

We don't have the best equipment out here when it comes to cardio.  Out of the three treadmills in our gym, one is out of commission and a second one has a belt that is continually slipping.  

On the other hand, by 9 AM, the outside temperature is already in the high 90s - 100s.  The sun is blazing and I hate sunscreen dripping into my eyes.  So if I schedule a short run later in the day, I'm usually hopping on the treadmill.  

Two problems that I have found using the treadmill, even for an hour or so of running:

1.  I am a forward leaning runner.  While there are a lot of ways to define this, basically it just means that I try to keep my center of gravity slightly forward.  This running style has saved my knees.  I have noticed, however, that working out on the treadmill causes the balls of my feet to heat up to the point it gets uncomfortably hot.  I'm not sure if it is my running style or my running shoes, but I have limited my running on the treadmill to an hour.

2.  I actually prefer to run outside, and when I am running outside I don't watch the clock.  I have general distances I want to run, and whenever I'm done, I'm done.  On the treadmill though I find myself getting away from that natural stride in order to cover more mileage in a shorter amount of time.  There are times I have run on the treadmill, and end up with minor knee soreness for a little while that day.  I generally don't get knee pain when I run on the street, regardless of the time I spend there.  I wonder if this is a factor of changing my stride or running speed artificially.

Looks like I'll have to continue getting up early to run as dawn breaks, to avoid the heat as best I can, and limit treadmill runs to less than one or one and a half hours.

Poor blogging form this week, only one post.  I apologize, it has been a very busy week.  I respect someone who can blog three or more times a week, every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment