Thursday, June 6, 2013

I Ran Today


So, on to business. 

Ideally I will update on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I am starting early, creating some material in reserve so ultimately I can write when I want to, not when I have to.  Otherwise, I imagine my posts will look something like this:

I ran today. 

I did run on my birthday, by the way...I don't know the exact mileage for a perimeter run (I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan), but it took me almost three hours.  I try to plot out distance on a map in the office...I surprised myself early in the deployment by pulling out a map of the base and carefully plotting my course that day.  I was excited to see that I was running around 11 km, when I thought I was running more like 5 or 6.  That was great news.  My main goal is not speed, or time, but running without injury.  So far - knocking on wood here for effect - I have not even felt sore the day after a run. 

This is even better news because I haven't done any physical activity in the months prior to deployment.  Maybe since my last physical fitness test, way back in November.  When I got here, my only goal was to start walking, which I did for about a month.  I threw in a one or two mile run in there somewhere, but nothing serious.  To say that I am pleased with how far I have come in a couple of months is an understatement.  I thought that I would increase my mileage by 10% every week, but if my body feels good I just go with it.

Not a bad way to wrap it up, really: listen to your body.  Most of the time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment