Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Three Is A Magic Number

It's been three days now since my third marathon, and I have to say that I feel pretty good.  I definitely found the right balance between training and staying healthy and uninjured.

The Marine Corps (Forward) Marathon was very well organized, with water, sports drinks and often a snack or two available at every other mile.  The course was very close to what I was already running - at some point, you can't run around this base without having done it before - so I knew what to expect.  And the temperatures were cold - in the high 40s at 5 when I left for work, and probably in the low 50s a couple of hours later, so I ran with a sweatshirt without a problem.

Around mile twenty, I was dragging my feet a bit when the right shoe snagged a rock, sending me sprawling to the ground.  Today, my left knee and right elbow are still very sore, and I am sure that if I had not tripped and fallen that I would be feeling even better.  I am glad that I was able to get right back up and keep running, though.  We did have a couple of twisted ankles on the course.

I ran the second half faster than the first, although I can't tell you what my pace was because I wasn't keeping track.  I knew that I was doing very well, but didn't want to push it just to get a PR - again, not injuring myself was a big priority.

It turns out that I crossed the finish line at 4 hours and 22 minutes, 19 seconds.  That's a PR!!  My first marathon was 4 hours, 24 minutes, so I definitely have a good, maintained pace on flat terrain.

I felt good enough to PT with the Chiefs and First Class Petty Officers the next morning, even though my legs were sore.  I did a chest workout that Monday afternoon as well.  I took Tuesday off, and today I did a cardio workout and will hit my back and biceps this afternoon.  I will likely try a few miles on Friday or Saturday.  All in all, I am very, VERY excited about not just finishing the race, but how my training has paid off in being able to function afterwards.  I feel very positive about the possibility of finishing a 40 miler.  

No comments:

Post a Comment