Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Insufferable Runner

A great Facebook post by a friend today pointed out an article by a blogger (author unknown) who writes for Wait But Why on "7 Ways to be Insufferable on Facebook".

Pretty sure this blog falls under Region A - statuses that serve the author.  I could (and do) claim that when things calm down a bit here I am either stalking our mini-fridge (or worse, the Chaplain's full-sized refrigerator next door) or something equally unproductive, so a bit of writing practice helps pass the time.  
But, for the most part, this is about me running.

Time to make a change and try to steer this towards a positive angle.  I have been toying with the idea of running for a cause for a few months now.  The Marine Corps (Forward) Marathon is just ten days away, and it will be the bellwether to tell me if I have the chops to run 40 miles before I proclaim this feat to the world.  I ran a slow 20 miles yesterday, and feel pretty good today, which is making me think that I can actually do this.

The kick-off for my fundraiser will start when I get back home from deployment. More on that later.  

Concerns: minor stiffness and aches in my left leg, mostly in the retinaculum (the tendon that crosses over the top part of the foot) and in my knee.  Also, my shoes are near their breaking point - there is a large hole in the left shoe, on the side, about the size of a quarter.  I don't want to buy new shoes out here, just to get them filthy with moon dust.  I can ride it out for another month.

Good stuff: moderate soreness during the day, but literally none the day after for long runs greater than 15 miles.  My 9 mile runs are fairly pain-free.  

Extra: My weight is steady at around 170, and I've been holding now for over 4 months, with only minor variations.  Body fat is going down according to my taping results, so that means that my upper body workouts are adding some muscle, and I'm not losing it from running.  Very happy about that.  

Even more extra: got to get back into a regular posting schedule.  While I'm working on it, seriously...check out Wait But Why.  I really like the graphics that accompany his blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment